The Eastern and Coastal Diocese is one of the twenty Dioceses of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania. The Diocese was constituted and registered as an independent church on 13 December 1962 by that time known as Uzaramo-Uluguru Synod. In December 1970 the name was changed to ELCT: Eastern and Coastal Synod until December 1986 when the name again was changed to ELCT: Eastern and Coastal Diocese.

Missionary activities in the Coastal Region started in August 1887 with a missionary of the Berlin Mission who was called Johann Jacob Greiner.